As Pastors the most important thing we do every week in ministry is present the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is not something that should be taken lightly. We need to master the craft of effectively communicating the truths of Gods word in such a way that people listen and apply what they hear from us.
One of the best ways to improve as a speaker is to watch your message every week. I know, you don't like looking at yourself. I know, you don't like listen to yourself. But get over yourself! It's not about you. It's about the message.
Every week I watch my messages and take written and mental notes.
Here are a few things I look for when watching my messages.
1. What was my point and did I get it across?
2. Did I speak the Bible in its proper context?
3. What were the action steps for the message?
4. Did the people clearly understand the action steps?
5. Was my humor used to move the point forward or to get laughs.
6. Did I have phrases / ticks that distracted from message?
7. Did I use the stage well?
8. Did I have the right body language for the delivery?
9. Did I speak the truth in love?
These are a few things I ask myself every week and I have found it has really helped my get better at speaking messages that inspire life change.
Hope this helps you and if you would like to connect - just drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.